Tuesday, September 25, 2012

THAT was upsetting

Got to the range this morning, set up a target, stuck a mag in the .45 and chambered a round, set it on the bench; grab, aim, thumb off safety,
click.
WTF?
All kinds of thoughts run through your mind at a time like that, the first being "Didn't I chanber one?"  Dropped the magazine and kept it pointed downrange for about 30 seconds, then- holding it with the ejection port away from me- racked the slide, and a round popped out.  I checked it, and there's a very faint, very large circular mark on the primer.
WTF II?
Locked the slide back to look, and the firing pin hole is plugged with what looks like brass; reached in and with a fingernail scratched at it and it popped out(of course it fell on the floor and disappeared), staying in sight just long enough for me to see shiny brass in a tiny disc.

I have no idea.  Last time I fired it, about week-and-a-half ago, every round went bang.  All I can figure is the last round, a bit of the primer cup must've somehow jammed in the hole.  I think I've still got that brass in the same bag todays went in; before I feed it to the tumbler I'll look at every damn one to see if can find such a damaged primer.

No comments: