Sunday, September 07, 2008

When a lawyer and politician words things in certain ways,

you know he's either flat-out lying, or talking around the answer.
A woman in the crowd told Obama she had “heard a rumor” that he might be planning some sort of gun ban upon being elected president. Obama trotted out his standard policy stance, that he had a deep respect for the “traditions of gun ownership” but favored measures in big cities to keep guns out of the hands of “gang bangers and drug dealers’’ in big cities “who already have them and are shooting people.”
Translation: "I'll ban them where and when I can, and big cities are the easiest place to start. I'll just say it's for the public good, of course." And, of course, he's ignoring the fact of all the laws already in effect on that.

“If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it,’’ Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.

So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’

Here's where you have to think about what he's saying. "If you have a gun in your house," does not cover 'if you carry for self-defense or take it to the range', and so on. And "Even if I want to take them away, I don't have the votes" is a dead giveaway; "Don't worry about it as long as I don't think I have the votes."

And that last bit: "I see a couple of sportsmen back there." Again, very specifically a group is pointed out and reassured; screw everyone else. This is a standard part of the liberal Dem line: "You can have guns for 'sporting purposes'." Coming from a guy who's tried to ban whole classes of firearms, who wanted a federal ban on concealed carry, that's not exactly reassuring, now is it?

As Q&O puts it, Good grief. "Even if I want to take them away"? Translation: "I'm not a gun grabber, but assuming that I'm lying about that, I've put some thought into it and I've calculated that I can't currently succeed. So you're not going to hold this little matter against me, are you?"
Answer: "Yes, We Are!"

No comments: