Tuesday, January 05, 2010

One last thing before bed: a followup on the TSA screwing around Updated

with people's lives:
At this point the TSA officials escorted Yon to a designated screening area where they examined the contents of his bag. “Then they asked me how much money I make,” Yon said. Yon suggested to the TSA officials that the question was inappropriate and unrelated to transportation security. The award-winning blogger noted another TSA officer approached Yon: “he asked who do I work for.” ”I did not answer the question which clearly was upsetting to the TSA officers.”

Yon was escorted to a room elsewhere in the airport where he said he remained silent during much of the questioning. According to Yon, “they handcuffed me for failing to cooperate. They said I was impeding their ability to do their job.”

Yon described the TSA officials as noticeably frustrated by his refusal to answer their questions: “I always assume everything is being recorded. I was trying to be professional.”

Yon continued, “They said I wasn’t under arrest, but I’m handcuffed. In any other country, that qualifies as an arrest.”

This is a marvelous example of clowns with too much authority over people abusing that authority. It's none of their damned business how much money he makes. Or who he works for, for that matter. But they just couldn't stand that someone would dare to not answer their questions, so he winds up handcuffed.

Makes me think: remember the video about "Never talk to the police", it being pointed out that no matter what you say, it can and will be used against you, even if you're innocent? Makes me wonder if TSA uses this to fish for SOMETHING they can misuse to screw somebody around so they can pad their "We did a good job" numbers. Or, there is the other possibility: they knew who he was and for some reason(orders from somebody?) were looking for something to use against him.

Either way, they suck.
Update: Yon now has on his Facebook page that it was Customs who handcuffed him

1 comment:

Chad said...

He updated... it wasn't TSA, it was Customs.