Saturday, February 03, 2007

Vacuum-sealer test results

First part of January I decided to try something with my food-saving vacuum-sealer. So I took two knife blades- no special preparation, just the usual wipe of oil they'd been put away with- and sealed them in bags, and buried them.

They've spent almost a month in the garden, through mud, rain and ice. Today I dug them up














On the left is the one that wasn't vacuumed out, on the right vacuumed and then sealed. Off to the sink to wash the worst of it off, then cut the bags open and pulled them out.














The stuff on the tangs isn't from this, those are forge marks left on(a rough surface helps the epoxy grab, etc.) There isn't a speck of rust on them, and the inside of the bags was- as it should be- perfectly dry.

So far, this does hold up as a good way to seal something other than food in the freezer up for storage. I know there shouldn't be any difference, but I want to get an old beater pistol, seal it up and bury it for a while, just to try it.

I know a guy...

No comments: