Sunday, December 04, 2022

I have to tell a story I just remembered, it involves buffalo

Girl I knew in college came into class looking terrible.
"You ok?"
"I got woke up at 2am by a phone call.  Friend said "A BUFFALO SHIT ALL OVER MY HOOD!"
"What?"
Repeat.
Seems the fried was out on the Wildlife Refuge near Lawton driving around.  Remember two things: no lights except around the rare building, and pre-cellphone days.  Came around a curve to see a buffalo standing in the road facing the other way.

Stood on the brakes way too late, and that little car knocked its hind legs out from under it; this caused it to 
sit on the hood, HARD,
pop both front tires and damage the suspension,
and shit all over the hood and windshield.

Asked about the buffalo, "It slid off the hood, snorted some and shook itself, and walked away."  I tend to think snorting "How damned rude!" as it went.

She then had to walk close to two miles to get to the visitor center, which had a light in front and a pay phone.  My friend called a wrecker, and tried to get back to sleep.

Nobody found a badly injured or dead buffalo that I ever heard of, the car required two tires and some expensive repairs- after washing the buffalo crap off- and the lady wasn't injured.

I'm really surprised I'd forgotten that.

3 comments:

Matthew W said...

I saw a "funny" video of a car hitting a moose and you could see it shit as it was flipping !!

Roger Ritter said...

A friend of ours had a similar encounter with a black bear. In her case, the bear came running out of the woods and ran into the side of her car. The impact caused it to puke up the load of blueberries it had been eating, all over the car. The bear then ran back into the woods (presumably to refill).

The insurance company just wrote the car off rather than try to clean up all of the blueberry mess.

Anonymous said...

There's something you don't hear everyday.