Monday, December 05, 2022

About that ammo tryout,

I wanted to mess with some subsonic loads in .300 Blackout without spending a fortune on suitable bullets.  Midway came to the rescue: they're having one of their blemished bullets sales, and had some 190 grain boattail hollowpoint match bullets for a very good price.  So I got some.

190-grain because that's the same weight as the Hornady Sub-X bullets I tried before, so figured could use the same load data.  I think these are Sierra, and in very good shape.  So I started with the same load using H4198, with the overall length a couple of thousandths below max.

First shot was just to make sure the bullet made a nice round hole(I worry).  Then fired four.  Only 30 yards, but
I'd say that's promising.  Velocity, if comparable to the Sub-X, should be around 1050, so it should suppress nicely.  Opportunity arises, I'll try it.

As to bullets, Berry's makes some 220-grain plated just for .300 Blackout, and I'm told they shoot very well.  Just happens that getting the blemished from Midway gave me the weight I wanted to stick with and a bit better price.

When have time and am able to sit that long I'll load some more.  I'd like to put some over the Chrony to find out the actual velocity, and try at 50 and 100 yards.  Which will have to wait a while for three reasons:
I can only drive about 30 miles or so right now before the leg starts really aching,
thus carrying gear from truck to bench, etc., ain't happening right now,
the weather keeps going up and down.  
Yeah, I'm being chicken.  The knee is improving, and I don't want to push it too far.  When I shot handgun a few days back, the stance annoyed it, so all the loading/unloading/carrying/loading etc. I'm not doing right now.

But I do have some experimenting to do when I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your test was a success. What platform are you using?
Just got my .30 cal suppressor after waiting 11 months. Looking for a .300 BO to put it on. Haven't decided if just getting a .300 blackout upper and put it on one of my AR lowers or by a totally new gun.

Firehand said...

It's an AR.

Guy I work with bought a Ruger American in the cartridge and really likes it. I think he's waiting on his paperwork now