Monday, November 14, 2022

Hearing aids

I'd decided "I have to do something" a while back, my hearing is so bad.  Got the tests done, recommendations on machinery, and was finally able to get them about a week ago.

Holy crap.

The difference is incredible.  I can hear someone's voice in a noisy room and actually know what they're saying.  They're very small and light, and they bluetooth to the phone so I'm hearing that direct to the aids.  Music I can understand, and I'm not bitching that the PC has no more volume.

Few months back Mom had mentioned Dad's sister finally got some, and she was sort of unhappy: "Every little noise I used to not hear is annoying me."  I understand, but overall I don't agree.  When I can get back to work, this is going to make a huge difference when talking to people.  Especially those who speak softly when looking down or to one side, they should be much less of a pain to deal with.

Would've been nice starting  quite a while back, but one damn thing at a time.

7 comments:

irontomflint said...

I've been wearing hearing aids since 1975. Getting your volume set correctly can be difficult. Have your aunt lower her volume a little, it may just be set a tad too loud.

Terrapod said...

What brand and model did they recommend?
I have been using them since 1970 and while the tech keeps improving, my hearing keeps deteriorating apace.

Current ones are computer bluetooth amazing with mobile phone controls but still can't handle (or I can't resolve) conversation in a bar or restaurant.

Glad they are working for you. Keep the volume at lowest setting that works clearly for you. Years of use actually reduces hearing ability, kind of like having to escalate tech in a war.

Firehand said...

Mine are Phonak, the base level can hook into the phone. So far, they're great. I've only been to one eating place since got them(I HAD to get out of the house for a while), and I could hear the waitress, the cashier, everything was clear for the first time in a long time.

And I haven't been wishing the computer had more volume, I've actually had to turn it down some.

Anonymous said...

My hearing is getting worse after 21 years in the Army and everything since 2005 spent in loud manufacturing. Thinking about getting tested myself. One question, do you remove the aids when you go to the range or wear muffs over them?

Firehand said...

Range has not been tried yet; just got them two weeks after the knee surgery.

Everyone I know who uses them takes theirs out of their ears and uses muffs or plugs.

episode4 said...

I am at that point where I know I need them. And the cost is high enough that if i get them I want to have a good chance they will be worth it. A few more recommendations would be nice from those who have them.

Anonymous said...

I’ve had mine for ~10 yrs. Amazing how loud peeing is isn’t it. ;)
Guys, if you have a Costco near you I had heard nothing but good reviews about their service and cost. The prices should be coming down nicely and I’m due for some newer ones.
Whoever your provider is they should be close enough to stop in for adjustments without it being a PITA.
Alternatively a good friend has a pair that can be adjusted over the internet. Pretty sweet what tech there is now.
At the range, remove and use plugs AND muffs.
Jealousy protect what hearing you have left.
K.