Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dad's still around,

so we can argue and grip and work on things; for so many, that's not possible.

One thing that kind of pisses me off is when I hear someone griping because "He couldn't be there for 'X', he failed me!" Sometimes it's a legitimate gripe, very often not; the man was working to keep food and clothing and shelter and all coming. In a way I guess I got it easy there, he often couldn't be around but I knew why and understood it; when you've heard him talking to Mom about the accident he worked(they didn't know you could hear), or seen him come in out of bloody awful weather to eat a bite and fill the thermos to head back out to try to keep people alive, you aren't fond of the things you miss but you know there's reason why.

I really have no idea what all I learned from him. Some things stand out(he taught me to detail-strip a S&W revolver and work on it), others are just there.

In any case, need to get down there again soon. They're always glad to have the company, and I'm always better off for having gone.

No comments: