Sunday, January 08, 2012

Something that's going to get a range test as soon (updated with pics)

as I can get to it: been working a lot of hours lately*, so as a late Christmas present to myself I got something I've been looking at for quite a while: a Ultimak mount for my Garand.

Pictures later, when I can set up in better light. For now, installation was pretty straightforward: remove the action/barrel group from the stock(if you're unfamiliar, go here and choose Field Stripping); remove the rear handguard; remove op rod and spring; put mount in place and install the two clamps, just snug the screws; roughly level; install op rod and spring, replace barrel unit in stock. Then level the mount and tighten the screws.
Here's how it looks on mine:

That may be your rifle; MINE had to argue about it. Specifically, the 'remove rear handguard' instructions didn't work, as the spring was so bloody tight you could not pop it off that way; I had to detail strip the barrel(remove gas tube/sight unit, remove front handguard, pull pin and remove ferrule) to get the thing off; the mount, however, went on exactly as listed. I used a level to compare the mount to the receiver and true it up.

Except for the rail on top, at first glance you could think it's a black-stained wood guard, it fits in that well.

The two clamps that fit around the barrel seem perfectly machined,
there's zero slop in the fit. The iron sights are not obstructed by the rail. Right now I've got a LER 2x scope mounted, and the rings are a little high(only ones I had); down the road I think I'll need some lower ones, but these will do to try it out.

*Friend: "I thought you were retired from that place?"
Me: "Me, too."
My real thought: If I'm one of those rich retired people, why aren't I on a beach somewhere with Sandra Bullock?

No comments: