Monday, June 14, 2010

For a while there I was wondering how long a cubit is...

Between about 0430-0445 this morning and noon some areas in central OK got 11" of rain. Flooding, flash-flooding and general misery. If I remember correctly, at one point some parts of every interstate highway in the central OK area was closed due to high water.

After noon, in this area at least, it broke down to sprinkles to light rain(like the light rain right now, dammit), giving the water some time to run off. My garden is made of an area outlined with concrete blocks and filled in to raise and level it; there was so much water at one point this morning it pushed three of the blocks over. I was able to set them back up, and after it'd stopped for a while scoop up some of the dirt that washed out, but I'm still going to have to get a couple of pickup loads of topsoil to fill in what could not be saved.