Monday, March 16, 2009

After Brigid made me make indian tacos*,

that started making me think of other bake-stuff, so after I got home today I made a batch(loaf? pan?) of focaccia. That and some balsamic vinegar and spiced olive oil... Yes, I did refrain from eating the whole damn thing. With effort.

Nice think about it is it takes maybe two minutes of kneading, and the rest is rising, so it's easy. Makes pretty good sandwiches, too.

Which reminds me, son is currently at a base in the southwestern US, and it seems nobody in the unit- or in town from what he said- every heard of Indian tacos. So he dug up a recipe(just before his pc crashed; it survived Iraq and about two months) and made his own, making the guys he shared with very happy.

Thinking about it, I'm glad it's now too late to start cooking; fry bread and honey...

Dammit, now Breda's talking about bread, too. That's one fine-looking burger she's torturing me withshowing. I used to have a bread machine, which was very handy as it saved all the kneading by hand. I'd usually let it do the work, then dump the dough into a regular pan to final-rise and bake so I didn't have bread with a hole in the bottom from the mixing paddle. I may have to get another, one of these days. Burgers with fresh-baked buns... no, dammit, it IS too late to start all that.

As a side point, Kevin has more on the idiot idea to scrap once-fired brass instead of selling it whole; besides the other points, it'll lose the gummint a bunch of money. Fine idea, isn't it?


*Yeah, she made me; she wrote about it, and her toppings, and I just had to have some!

No comments: