I once worked for the homeless. To provide a clean place, shower facilities, food, coordinating medical services. Very few of the homeless were because they were befallen a catastrophe. Of those very few, most were back on their feet and had left. Not that they had moved to a different shelter, but truly back on their feet.
Contrast that to the frequent flyers who make the rounds between shelter (ours had a limit of thirty continuous days). You can spot them a mile away, not necessarily by the disheveled clothing or lack of hygiene. But their gait, their scheming eye always looking for victims. Feral is indeed the word which comes to mind.
Government getting into the charity business has been a disaster. But it is a fantastic money maker for a select few.
The panhandlers want only cash. I have had food thrown back at me by those who proclaimed they were hungry. One young panhandler said he was a homeless vet. I asked him about that. He said he had served in Nam. But the age he said he was that was impossible. When I didn't cough up some dough he became quite angry. He got up from his wheelchair as if to threaten me
1 comment:
I once worked for the homeless. To provide a clean place, shower facilities, food, coordinating medical services. Very few of the homeless were because they were befallen a catastrophe. Of those very few, most were back on their feet and had left. Not that they had moved to a different shelter, but truly back on their feet.
Contrast that to the frequent flyers who make the rounds between shelter (ours had a limit of thirty continuous days). You can spot them a mile away, not necessarily by the disheveled clothing or lack of hygiene. But their gait, their scheming eye always looking for victims. Feral is indeed the word which comes to mind.
Government getting into the charity business has been a disaster. But it is a fantastic money maker for a select few.
The panhandlers want only cash. I have had food thrown back at me by those who proclaimed they were hungry. One young panhandler said he was a homeless vet. I asked him about that. He said he had served in Nam. But the age he said he was that was impossible. When I didn't cough up some dough he became quite angry. He got up from his wheelchair as if to threaten me
Post a Comment