Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Question: is there a time it's best not to bother asking a politician a question?

I've mentioned not getting a response from people running for city council when I asked their opinion on 'Red Flag' laws(asked on their Bookface pages).  Since there've been cases around the country of councils asking for/pushing such laws, I thought it reasonable to ask.

Well, the other day, several weeks after the election, I got a response from one guy:
My understanding is this issue is a state and federal matter.

As Councilperson-Elect, I’m concerned right now with access to desperately needed mental health services in our city.

Which I find troublesome.  It seems to be "I'm not going to answer your question, but here's something that concerns me".

Am I overthinking this?





3 comments:

Phelps said...

The only time is when asking, “any last words?” would keep you from hauling on the rope fast enough.

Anonymous said...

You're not overthinking it. The lack of mental health treatment options are a huge problem. Many communities desperately need more MH beds.

mark leigh said...

Red flag laws make access to mental health services problematic at best for gun owners. The laws existence makes seeking help equivalent to offering your guns up for confiscation. You might ask what their stance is on these problems.