Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The lamp is pretty much dead,

long live the lamp.  Or something like that.

What made me a believer in LED lamps was my porch light.  That sucker ate bulbs on a fairly regular basis; I've seen name-brand bulbs die in as little as a week.  So when I ran across some new-to-me LEDs at a store one day, I decided to give it a try: much more expensive than standards, but if I didn't have to keep climbing up to change the things it'd be worth it.

So a 60-watt lamp went in.

That was about six years ago, and it's been on most of that time.  It's still burning, but over the last couple of months it's become dim.  VERY dim.  So it was replaced the other day with a new one.  Same output, but the newer is smaller and lighter.

I don't know how many hours it works out to, but it was worth every penny.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried compact florescent bulb when the first came on the market. The first expensive bulb I installed lasted less than a week. Its replacement, the second bulb flashed out the first time I flipped the switch to turn it on. None that we ever had delivered on their promises. I've been cussing them every since. No complaints about LED's however.

Larry said...

An additional benefit of the LEDs is the energy consumption. Yes, it's a 60Watt (equivalent) bulb, but it only burns about 9 Watts of energy in use. That's about 9W/hr, 1.25KW/day, 35KW of savings a month for a 24/7 bulb. Bulb pays for itself after a few weeks.

Arthur said...

LEDs are better in cold weather as well. The CFLs I tried wouldn't want to start when it got much below freezing.

I kind of want to see how a bad LED bulb dies. I've had CFLs die and fry...badly. Like walk into the house and start sprinting to the fire extinguisher.

Firehand said...

From what I've read, they generally either just stop working or get dimmer and dimmer until they either flat die, or you throw them out