Friday, November 30, 2007

Bill Cosby is getting more company

Walter Williams and some others have been saying it with him for some time, but- just maybe- having someone like this add to it will help.

Yeah, that sounds dumb, but an awful lot of people pay a lot more attention to sportswriters and broadcasters than they do someone like Williams or Sowell, so maybe reading/hearing this from Whitlock will add to the effect.
You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your bitch," nothing will change.

Damn straight. Back a few years when I did have cable I stopped watching MTV- at all- for two reasons:
Outside of late night, they don't have music videos, just their little cultural-indoctrination shows,
And when they did show videos they tended to concentrate on rap, and the most nasty gangster-rap at that.
I have no desire to listen to that garbage. And I detest the effect it has on people. When I see a mid-20's black guy in the store- with his wife & kids- and he has his pants halfway down his ass, there's a problem. When you hear accounts of black kids telling other black kids that trying to actually study and get good grades is 'acting white', there's a damn problem.

Few years ago Cindy Margolis had a late-night tv show(so I have a weakness for pretty women in lingerie, shut up) and one show I caught was talking about "pimpin' ", which I'd never heard of. And one of the male idiots involved in this, when asked about it, said he "likes the pimpin' lifestyle", etc. I was standing there dumbfounded. Admittedly I don't think I've ever been on the 'leading edge' of social change, but still... Growing up, being called a pimp was one of the nastier things you could call a guy, but this clown and the girls around him were speaking downright glowingly of the 'pimp lifestyle'. Just flat amazing. And within a couple of years of that I heard of pimp and ho costumes for little kids for Halloween. Which convinced me(as if I'd really needed it) there were things my kids would never see as cool, or something to emulate. Which is why they got an explanation of where the pants-down-around-your-ass 'style' came from(which apparently led to a certain amount of hilarity when son told a friend "Hey, you want to look like someone's prison bitch, go ahead.")

Which spreads this mess out a bit, but the fact is that, while black kids get the worst of the effect sooner, it affects all our kids. Sooner or later, one way or another.

No comments: