Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Outdoor range time today,

heat and all(ah, the sacrifices I make!), which included trying the Federal .300 Blackout 190-grain Subsonic loads.

It took a few rounds to figure out elevation at 200 yards, less drop than my handloads, between higher velocity and that more ballistically efficient bullet shape.  The rifle has a Vortex Strike Eagle scope which has four stadia lines below the center dot, with a vertical arrow at the bottom below the bottom line.  Wound up with the fourth line being on the bullseye got this

Yes, I pulled one high.  Really, that five below is not bad, being about 3 1/2" center to center of the furthest apart.  For subsonic ammo in the last group at the end of a hot day from me, not bad at all.  I'll have to get some more of this, and I wish Federal would market the bullets for handloading.

That's a Birchwood Casey 17.25" Shoot n See target, and I like the things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hornady makes a 190gr Sub-X in 30 cal. Works great for 300BO subs

Firehand said...

Yes, they do, I've used them and they shoot well.

For general shooting, I like the Berry's Plated bullets, they make them in 180, 200 and 220 grain for subsonic, good price and they shoot nicely.

Firehand said...

Yes, they do, I've used them and they shoot well.

For general shooting, I like the Berry's Plated bullets, they make them in 180, 200 and 220 grain for subsonic, good price and they shoot nicely.