Monday, August 08, 2022

First part of the next test

is on a new Federal subsonic .22 ammo

It's listed as 45 grains, copper-plated round nose with a velocity of 970 fps.  This was using an AR pattern .22 rifle.  And I have to say this test was not real good.  It functioned with no problems of any kind, but at 30 yards accuracy was not real good.  At 30 yards this was the best I got with ten rounds.
A few groups were larger, the others(5 each) about like this.  It being quite possible I wasn't having a good day, I tried two other subsonics, five each, Eley Sport on the '4',
and CCI subsonic segmented hollowpoint on the '5'
So I can't blame it on me.  There is the possibility that this rifle and ammo don't agree with each other, so I'm going to try it again with another rifle and see how that goes.  

And a pistol, need to try that too.


4 comments:

Matthew W said...

Why go with the 45 grain?
Better than 40 grain with higher velocity?

Firehand said...

I suspect that with the heavier bullet you get more back pressure, which is important with straight-blowback semi-autos, which I think every .22LR is.

Anonymous said...

I have always had best accuracy from CCI Standard

Firehand said...

CCI is good. I've had some damn good results from Federal Champion, which is their average-level stuff. One rifle had the chance to use would reliably give 2" groups at 100 yards if I did my part, which is still kind of amazing to me.

Of course, my eyes were better then.