Saturday, May 14, 2022

Every once in a while I get to try out something fun,

this time it was a Silencerco Switchback suppressor.  Supposed to work on .22lr, .22 Magnum, .22 Hornet, and 5.7x28.  In this case it was mounted on a S&W 15-22 rifle.

I was impressed.  I wasn't able to do a lot of shooting with it, but it did the job.  Time constraints, could only fire 5-10 of each.  I have no way to measure the sound levels, so here's what I'll say:

First up was some CCI Meateater, 21 grain composite bullet of polymer and copper powder, and 1800fps.  WAY over subsonic, and while quieted down it definitely made some noise.

Then tried some Winchester Subsonic 42 Max, 42 grain bullet at 1065 fps.  BIG difference, when fired the first shot my first thought was "This action is loud when it cycles."  Then I realized I hadn't heard the shot over that mechanical noise.

Next was some CCI  Subsonic Small Game, 40 grain hollowpoint.  Also very quiet.

Last two were, first, Winchester M-22 Subsonic, 45 grain round-nose bullet, the box says with a black copper plating.  About the same as the other subsonics.  Ten shots there, the last five from a decent rest:

That's five at 25 yards.  

Last, some CCI Segmented HP Subsonic, 40 grain hollowpoint at 1050fps.  Unlike most subsonics I've seen, and like the M-22 Winchester, copper plated.  Very quiet through the can, and this is what the last five did, also at 25 yards

That big hole is four rounds, and I pulled the other a touch.  Which is damn good accuracy, I impressed myself.*  No idea how the bullet performs, no time right now to research it.

So that's my brief report on the Switchback.  I'd like to have one, so I could do more research.  Or other reasons.

*when not thinking "Damn, that was lucky!"

No comments: