Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The knee is progressing

I've got bruising showing up all around the thigh along with the soreness easing some; turns out that was from the tourniquet used to control blood flow during the surgery.  The staples are out, and official PT starts in a couple of days.

Yes, I'm carrying the phone with me everywhere, as the idea of tripping/losing balance and being on the floor without a way to call for help scares me.  Especially considering my past gracefulness on occasion.  So very careful it is.  So still walker or cane-going with mostly cane now- for any real distance.

Now I've got the morning abuse to do, followed by icing and leg up, followed by an adventurous trip to the grocery store.  Assuming I survive the rigors, more later.


Note: I'm very aware of how advanced this stuff has become.  Two weeks after and I'm walking around with a cane instead of the 'couple of weeks in bed followed by' that it was not that long ago.  I'm still going to bitch about some things.

4 comments:

OldTexan said...

Sounds as if you have a good handle on the recovery rehab stuff, in our family my older brother had the surgery when he was in his 70's and he was kind of a slacker on the rehab so it took him months longer to recover and never fully had great function in his knee while my cousin who played football for TCU years ago had the surgery in his late 60's he went full out on the rehab and was back out playing golf ahead of schedule. Of course cousin was used to that recovery stuff since he has had both knees redone and several shoulder surgeries and playing football in Texas at the college level can take its toll on body parts as guys get older. Anyway, good luck with your recovery and be careful with the tripping and falling stuff.

Phssthpok said...

Three weeks ago, co-worker 'tripped' over a sawhorse leg whilst stepping backward...snapped the ball offa his left femur when he landed. Full replacement.

He was released for light duty this week.

The miracles of modern medicine.

Grog said...

Good to know you're not getting lazy, I've seen that in people. And nothing wrong with bitching, that just gives us something to chuckle over. :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You and I are going through this together. I had my total knee replacement on April 5th. It's been slow going for me. I've had severe lower back pain on the same side as surgery and that's holding me back. I feel for ya. I'm walking fairly well with a cane and in two days I follow up with the surgeon. I'm already scheduled for the other side to be done in late July. Lord, I hope the memories of the discomfort fades be then so I have the courage to do it all over again.