Saturday, June 29, 2013

When Dad and I drove through Altamont Pass last year I noticed

all the windmills that weren't turning; turns out it's because the damn things were dead, and nobody bothered to either repair them(and if they were actually making cost-effective energy, why wouldn't they?) or tear them down.  Then there's this:
Altamont's turbines have since 2008 been tethered four months of every year in an effort to protect migrating birds after environmentalists filed suit. According to the Golden Gate Audubon Society, 75 to 110 Golden Eagles, 380 Burrowing Owls, 300 Red-tailed Hawks, and 333 American Kestrels (falcons) are killed by Altamont turbines annually. A July, 2008 study by the Alameda County Community Development Agency points to 10,000 annual bird deaths from Altamont Pass wind turbines. Audubon calls Altamont, "probably the worst site ever chosen for a wind energy project." The same areas that are good for siting wind farms are also good for birds of prey and migrating birds to pass through, shame for the birds that none of the Green mental midgets who care so much about everything in nature, thought that one through when pushing their anti fossil fuel agenda.
Bird cuisinarts, indeed.


Judicial Watch announced today that it has obtained records from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) revealing that the agency has spent millions of dollars for the warrantless collection and analysis of Americans’ financial transactions. The documents also reveal that CFPB contractors may be required to share the information with “additional government entities.” The records were obtained pursuant to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request filed on April 24, 2013, following the April 23 Senate Banking Committee testimony of CFPB Director Richard Cordray. The documents uncovered by Judicial Watch include:
  • Overlapping contracts with multiple credit reporting agencies and accounting firms to gather, store, and share credit card data as shown in the task list of a contract with Argus Information & Advisory Services LLC worth $2.9 million
  •  
and on from there; more of the privacy protectin' from The Lightbringer


The question, as always, is 'how will it be enforced if the bastards ignore it?'


Gerry got me started looking, and I found this place and this
$45!
Dammit.

2 comments:

Gerry N. said...

Re: Kukris. I ordered the Cold Steel Kukri through Amazon. 'Cause I was born cheap and have had multiple relapses.

Mine was 24 bucks and change, free shipping (Amazon Prime, don't you know?)

I'll get it on Tues, just in time for a birthday rampage in the back yard. I've got blackberry, bindweed, and belladonna vines to subdue. The only ones worth a damn are the blackberries, but I learned to hate picking those SOB's as a kid. So hacking them to bits then treating the stumps with Roundup(TM) is my SOP. I love Roundup(TM), the bulldozer in a jug.

I have some Cold Steel knives, excellent value for money and well made into the bargain. Good at holding an edge, easy to sharpen and hone.

I'll be so delighted to be 69, because all my Male forefathers I can find records of back to around 1200 AD shuffled off this mortal coil before their 62nd birthdays. I've long waited to meet them, exceot my Dad of course, but forever is a long time and I have a great deal of patience for things of that nature.

My maternal ancestors seemed to be in the habit of living long annoying lives, making people miserable for long distances around them. A fine and fitting legacy.

Windy Wilson said...

With apologies to the Surf Punks.

Altamont's nothing but a bird blender, a bird blender, a bird blender,

Alatamont's nothing but a bird blender --- Look out!
Splat!

I'm not holding my breath for this to get on the top forty.