Sunday, September 19, 2010

Og's post about cleaning and Tam's a while back

reminded me I hadn't detail-stripped my carry piece in a fair while. Most of the stuff I shoot, unless it ate corrosive-primed ammo that day, normally gets a couple of Eezox or Strike Hold-soaked patches through the chamber and bore, the bolt face and any parts handled by sweaty hands wiped down, then a couple of dry patches through the bore; but the carry pistol gets a fairly thorough cleaning, bore and rails and so forth, every time. Probably not needed, but it makes me feel better.

Well, a little bit ago I took the pistol down to parts. There was a bit of fouling buildup on the disconnector and sear, but the spot that was really bad was a lot of gunk built up on the thumb-safety plunger and the underside of the tube, I'd guess from being right against me all the time. So that's been scrubbed and is sitting for the Eezox to dry.

The only bad part about this? Since have to take the Crimson Trace grips off to remove the sear/disconnector pin, I'll have to make sure they're still zeroed next time I shoot. The way they lock on there's not really any way for them to get out of line, but I'll feel better if I specifically check it.

No comments: