Tuesday, March 22, 2005

What are your useful skills?

Over at AnarchAngel he asks the question, so here goes.

I've mentioned my Dad used to be Highway Patrol. Well, the only way he could afford to practice for a long time was to handload. So I got started on that from him. I can do the usual stuff, and I can cast, size & lube bullets.

I can do some gunsmithing. I've never rebarreled, I have cleaned/polished/modified pieces, I've shortened and crowned barrels, mounted sights and scope bases, repaired magazines, and done some refinishing, mostly with cold blue but also with rust bluing and browning.

I'm a fair blacksmith, with an emphasis on blades. I've made candleholders, chandeliers, fireplace & campfire tools, flint & steel sets, display stands, various tools and gun springs. Also eating sets, brooches for kilt/cloak, and some jewelry.

I can do some work on engines. I've completely rebuilt lawn mowers, done partial rebuilds on motorcycles, and some work on cars and trucks(standard maintenance stuff, brakes, filters, hoses, etc.) I'm about to rebuild the clutch on my Vulcan, it's about that time.

I haven't done it in quite a while, but used to be a decent welder. When I was in grade school the town where we lived had a serious FFA program, and that's where I learned it. It's also where I started working on motors. One of these days, I need to get a welding rig and get back to it.

I can cook a bit. Generally nothing fancy, but I can turn out a good meal. I love baking bread(right now, there's fresh focaccia, olive oil & vinegar waiting for me). I could get fat if I had time enough to cook the things I'd like to.

I play guitar and sing a bit. I'm out of practice right now for various reasons, but I used to go to open-mike nights at a couple of places, and nobody ever threw anything at me.

I can do some masonry work.

It's not a skill I use anymore, but when I was dispatching I could have three phone calls and a couple of radio calls working at one time, and keep them all straight. THAT took a while, I will tell you. Side effect of that was I could listen to a voice drowned in static and understand it.

Some first-aid knowledge, bits and pieces picked up over time.

I know how to use an axe for woodcutting, and how to sharpen it and put on a new handle. Related to this, I can set and sharpen a saw.

Juggle a bit. No, not women(unfortunately).

Some leatherwork. I've made knife and sword sheaths, both leather and leather-covered wood, leather drinking mugs and shot glasses.

And I used to be pretty good at Scottish country dancing. My knees won't tolerate much of it anymore.

That I can think of, that about covers it. I've wound up knowing how to do lots of different stuff, while not really specializing in anything. Except the smithing.

How 'bout you?

No comments: