Saturday, October 03, 2026

A question for those who reload, or

have ballistics knowledge:
I've noticed something about some subsonic loads.  You expect the bullet to have a lower point of impact at any distance due to the lower velocity, but some very consistently hit a bit to the right.  The one I tried recently grouped very tightly at 50 yards, but an inch to the right.  That was in .308, a while back I tried some subsonic loads, both factory and reloads, in 7.62x39 that hit a bit more to the right as well as lower.

I'm wondering if it's the difference in recoil in those loads, or something else.  Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It may be that the bullet is engaging the rifling at a slight angle. 3 things to check: (1) Is the brass at the case mouth square and concentric? I trim my brass every time it's used. (2) Is the bullet seated perfectly straight? Have to use a dial indicator for this one also. (3) Is the crimp even all the way around? It sounds as if the issue is consistent as all shots group to the right. I usually check my reloads first and if that is good move on to my shooting skills.