Tuesday, July 21, 2026

I have a rule about neat new/old firearms:

if it involves having to buy dies and brass to start loading a new cartridge(for me), I ain't doing it.  I've had a whole pile of cartridges I've loaded over time, including forming brass for some of them, and I don't really want to start that with another one.

It doesn't mean I can't read about something like this and think "Hmmm..."

7 comments:

ASM826 said...

I've had that rule for almost 20 years. Just not doing it.

RHT447 said...

Do tell. Back in another state and another life, I had my FFL. I helped a LOL (Little Old Lady) sell her late husband's gun collection. Side note -- he was a young 2Lt. in the Signal Corps and went ashore at Normandy on D-day +4

One of his rifles was an absolutely pristine M1909 Peruvian Mauser in 7.65 Mauser. At the time, I was already handloading for multiple rifles in 30-06 and 308, plus my M1908 Bazilian Mauser in 7 X57. Like I really needed another 30 cal. bolt action rifle with its own unique dies, bullet diameter, and brass. Yawn.

Nope, what I opted for was his model 1879 Argentine Rolling Block in .43 Spanish. I'll just sit here quietly and wait for the laughter to die down. Interesting discussion of same here --

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1879-argentine-rolling-block.106324/?post_id=980224&nested_view=1#post-980224

That saga is still on going. Need to make a chamber cast to get a better idea of free bore and actual bore diameter

Mikey said...

I have instituted a ban on new calibers. Maybe

Anonymous said...

you not the only one who thinks that way. I passed on a few really neat weapons just because of the ammo issue. thought about getting a 10 mm or a nice commander in 38 super but then I have to stock ammo and get reloading dies for it. and now that i am over 70, well I not doing that again.

larryw208 said...

Learning that rule changed the whole metric of a new gun for me. Cost of gun+optic (?)+ reloading dies+brass+powder+.... I bought a M6 with a 22Hornet and 410 shotty barrels. Neat little backpack gun. Anyways, I didn't have any of the required reloading bits for it and it was quite the eye opener when I went back a few years later and figured out what my $350 gun actually cost. It's easy to nickel and dime yourself into a big investment.

Gregb said...

Good article though. Thanks Gregb

Peaowed said...

Same here. I fell off the wagon at least 4 times since I "declared" I wouldn't obtain any more new calibers.