Friday, May 10, 2024

Ok, this is the last thing for tonight

It was a decent day, so I took the morning and went to the range.  Which was very nice.  Some wind, but not enough to bother with except for the .22.

The load I figured was going to be The Load with that .45-70 is still working well, so I'm sticking with it.  Which means I can load enough to make that long-awaited trip to a place where I can try 300 and 400, maybe 500 yards.  I ain't Quigley, but I can enjoy trying.

Couple of other ammo/loads were tried just to rough in a new optic, then tried the .22 out to 200.  Two problems with that:
One is at 200 yards, with any wind, it's hard for my spotting scope to pick up those tiny holes.
Second is that even mild wind will deflect those light bullets, sometimes quite a bit if it gusts.  Wind was mostly light, but got a bit stronger and gustier as the morning progressed.  Could get decent hits at 100, and despite the wind was fun trying at 200.  One of these days I'll pick up some serious match ammo, scrub the bore thoroughly, and start from scratch with it just to see how it does in this boomstick.

I love .22 rifles.  And pistols.

3 comments:

RHT447 said...

Tiny holes at distance. Shoot-n-See targets solved that for me. I was load testing .223 at 250 yards.

Wind drift. Not long ago I shot my M-1 carbine at 200 yards in a mild cross wind breeze just to see. I knew it would drift, but I was still surprised by how much. Drift in a mild gust (under 10 mph) was measured in feet.

Dan said...

The rifle Quigley used was chambered in 45/110.

Firehand said...

It was indeed.
I halfway thought about that cartridge, then considered the job of trying to get brass combined with recoil... I think .45-70 will be fine for me