Monday, December 04, 2023

That's a couple of nice, stupid things the Sheriff came up with

We were told that Sheriff Livingston won’t approve applicants if they attempt to qualify with a handgun that has a laser, red dot sight, or a pistol light attached (night sights are allowed), and found the page at the bottom of this post on the county’s web site. We wrote to ask the Sheriff for his rationale for these restrictions and this week we heard back from him.

The reasons for excluding these accessories are (I summarize here, these aren’t quotes) . . .

1. Permittees could use inferior accessories that aren’t subject to vetting and could hinder the performance of the firearm.

2. Without proper training, the attachments can make a smooth weapon draw difficult, endangering the individual in a deadly force encounter.

3. The attachments make carried handguns harder to conceal.


But wait! There's MORE!
The Contra Costa department also doesn’t allow single-action firearms to be carried, such as the very popular 1911 platform and its smaller variants.
Holy crap.

I'll bet if you say anything about, say, a red dot helping your eyes, he'll disqualify you for inadequate vision.

Damn, what bullshit.

7 comments:

rickn8or said...

This is the crap that happens when you don't have statewide preemption.

As if the Sheriff was going to approve your license anyway...

Anonymous said...

I've used a red dot and even after practicing with it for a while, I found it significantly slower. I know where the sights are, I have a hard time finding the little red dot.

Anonymous said...

Tony Curtiss in the movie, Operation Petticoat, comes to mind; 'Some say you're going about it all wrong' ... Ramon!

Tipping the basterd a couple Benjamins also works. Then you own him.

A friend got her CCW in Los Angeles because her dad wss owed a few favors.

Anonymous said...

I practice my draw. I do aim but not by eye. By body. Time after time my shot placement at 10 yards is in the 10 ring. At least upper 80% of my shots. Whether 9 europellet or .44 or .45

One of the first videos I watched on You Tube was by a middle aged farmer. He taught people how to shoot from the hip. Even youngsters or his arthritic wife was hitting soda cans at 40 feet. From the hip.

The draw and presentation is key. I don't set any speed records but a smooth draw will win the day. Give it a try.

Firehand said...

Way back in the Devonian Age when I was taught to shoot, at short range point-shooting was it. Also the way a lot of LE agencies taught it.

I've still got my copy of 'No Second Place Winner' by Bill Jordan, who goes into it.

Anonymous said...

While Sheriff Jackboot waits for a lawsuit from SAF & GOA to smack his authoritarian ass down…

Look up on Tubeyou -
“You don’t need a red dot sight on a carry gun” by Ken Hackathorn.
I don’t own a RDS for handguns, never felt the need/didn’t have the money.
I do however have lights, lasers, etc but not on my EDC.
I use those on my nightstand gun or my “Lets head to the desert/woods” open carry guns.
Ken’s premise being that with an RDS, unless you have a pallet of ammo and the training time, you will be slower at “defense distance” but more accurate at farther range.
IMHO, up close point shooting IS still very viable used with movement to get to “use the sights range.”

Firehand said...

He should try telling that to a number of instructors I've known, and people with eye problems that make iron sights difficult. They'll tell him he's full of shit.