Saturday, August 27, 2022

I had a chance to take the .45-70 out,

and every penny I paid for the Steve Brooks mould was worth it.

Two reasons: first, it's the easiest-to-use mould in this caliber I've ever used.  Once I tried his casting technique, it throws very consistent-weight bullets.  Second, they shoot very well.  This was at 200 yards, and that one on the right was a called flyer.
I think I've found The Load for this rifle.

One of the other nice things about this mould: if a bullet is a bit sticky about coming out of the block, some taps on the handle pivot pin is all it takes.  The Lyman I started with... sometimes the only way to get one out was to use pliers, which means it's ruined.  And that's after trying every trick I've ever learned to prevent it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice 200 yard group.
Ed

Firehand said...

With the right load, which this seems to be one, and me actually doing my part, sometimes I get it done.

Torpid said...

Could you share the load you are using? I'm about to start handloading for my .45-70 Henry single shot, and am looking for information.

Firehand said...

That was the Brooks bullet, 525 grains, a .060 thick wad, 60.0 grains of 1.5f Swiss black powder, a Federal Large Rifle Magnum primer, in a Starline case.

No guarantees how it'd shoot in your rifle, they can be picky.