Thursday, August 25, 2022

Guy has a Chiappa 1886 Winchester

in .45-70.  Lovely thing, but kicks like a mule.  Wanted some way to put a pad on without either permanently mounting one or using a slip-on, wanted to keep it traditional-looking.

Told him about my butt-cuff idea, and he liked it, got some light leather to start with as a pattern, made it, and put a thick piece of high-density foam inside.  Tells me it made quite a difference.

I'm sure the foam will wear out in not very long, being repeatedly mashed and released like that, but that's cheap to replace.  We'll see how long it lasts him.

3 comments:

1chota said...

They are commercially available.

Firehand said...

I had found some that carried ammo loops, didn't see any with a pad inside, must not've looked in the right place

Anonymous said...

I wonder if a chunk of sorbothane would work. You can get a sheet from The Zon and cut to fit I bet. Stuff absorbs shock like crazy.