Thursday, October 22, 2020

Messing with black powder loads is kind of fun, but

when smokeless consistently gives groups like this, at times I wonder why I bother
.45-70, 525-grain Lyman Postell bullet over 24.0 grains of A5744 at 200 yards.  The other holes are from a different rifle; the wind was strong and gusty, and the lighter bullets were being blown around some even when you timed between the gusts, but this beast didn't seem to care much.

I'll keep working on the black loads; I've got a couple that will group about this well(one with this bullet, one with another) but they're far more picky to put together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gab has a very active group just on reloading and such. Check it out!
CIII

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd stick with smokeless with a group like that. I'm working on my bp loads also, having fun but spraying lead all over the target (could it be user error?). If you haven't run across it I can recommend Mike Venturino's BP Cartridge Loading Primer, and his Shooting the Blackpowder Cartridge Rifle. Both are a pretty good read, and with good load data and tips from BP competition shooters. Best wishes!
Jerry Beene
Bulverde, TX

Firehand said...

I've got his book on buffalo rifles, but haven't read those two.

Two more books to dig up.