Tuesday, December 11, 2018

First test of the stuff from Widener's is one of the most common practice

cartridges around: Winchester white box 9mm.

I will note that, in the past, I've run across people who had some problems with this stuff, including a guy handing me two rounds that not only had no primers, but no flash hole(which makes the 'no primer' part a good thing).  However, that was during the worst of the Obama-period rush on production, and a number of brands/types had some problems during that period*.

This was a 100-round box of 115-grain ball, which was fed through a S&W M&P full-size.  Zero feeding, ejection, or firing problems.  And all shots hit where they were supposed to(within the limits of my ability, at least).

I've had no way to set up the Chrony to check velocities, I can say this stuff felt very consistent, and unlike some other stuff I've tried, it did not crap up the pistol with lots of fouling.  So clean, consistent, reliable**, accurate, and decent price; what more can you ask for?



 *I had some CCI primers that failed to pop during that time, first failures I've ever had through I don't know how many thousands I(and Dad) have used over the years.

**You want a thousand-round test?  Send me a thousand; they were nice enough to send me some stuff and say "Try this out and see what you think", I'm damned sure not going to start hinting for a case.

1 comment:

David said...

I shot 1000's of rounds of WWB during the first obama occupancy. Used to head to Walmart during my lunch almost every day to see if they got any ammo shipments in. It was cheap and reliable. Never had an issue, though I didn't rely on it for match use when there was a chrono stage to get through. It's still the only ammo some folks use.