Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Brass Catcher, Part II

Because I tried the one I made for the Carbine, and it worked.  Reasonably.  But it needed to be a bit bigger to work well on the Garand.  So:

Started with the same stuff, 1/16" spring wire*.  Used the same basic design as the Carbine catcher: the box is longer, and the arms are longer and fit further down on the forend.
The wire, shaped
 How it looks naked
 After lacing some netting to it

Using one piece of wide velcro over the legs to stabilize them, and two velcro straps to hold it in place; worked well on the both rifles so far, and with the longer arms on this one(more distance between straps) should be more stable.

Actually, looking at things, I could probably make the Carbine version with the box a little shorter.  However, right now I'm not going to mess with it.  And hopefully can try the Garand version out soon.


*Back when I was smithing I picked up a number of ten-foot pieces of this stuff from my favorite salvage yard; it's been handy for a whole lot of things.  Springs, awls, small screwdrivers and so on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this idea! Wouldn't a coat hangar work just as well?

Firehand said...

Probably; this was what I had available in the right size.