Beautiful day, got up to about 90, with very light wind when it blew at all. Which meant that heat from the barrel was rising up into the line of sight and causing me some trouble.
But it was a fine day, and I got to try some loads, and enjoyed it greatly.
One thing tried to see how they worked was some subsonic loads in .308 using the Hornady 190-grain Sub-X bullet. One of the loads in the book is 10.5 grains of Trail Boss- which I have most of a bottle of- for, according to the book, 1039 feet per second. Out of this rifle that first try was all right at or a touch over speed of sound, which I've noticed with other loads in other cartridges, ran faster out of my rifle than what was suggested. That's checked using the Garmin Xero chronograph.
So I cut it by three-tenths grain to 10.2. And that worked great, average 1097 for seven rounds, with only one being just above 1100, and that well below speed of sound(1143 at that temp according to this speed of sound calculator). Target was 50 yards, first two with crosshair on the bullseye low and an inch right.

No comments:
Post a Comment