Thursday, August 10, 2023

Something I read brought back a memory

Friend has some honeybees in a fruit tree and is a bit freaked out about them.  She knows they're good, etc., but for some reason that's a "NO!" when she has to look at them.

She'd have lost her mind if she'd been with me and the kids years back.  We were walking through a wildlife area, looking to be terminally rude to some squirrels, and heard a buzz off to the north.  There are some powerlines that run through the area, and since I worry about things I wondered if it could be a transformer going out or some other problem?, so we went looking.

Got closer, it got louder, and at a small clearing, in the top of an oak tree about 20' high was the biggest swarm of bees I've ever seen.  Standing under it, it was loud enough to be kind of shocking.  I was amazed, standing under it, probably with a big smile on my face, saying "This is amazing, look at it!"

Daughter finally suggested that "Maybe we should go and leave them alone."  I didn't want to, but allowed as that might be a good idea, and we left.  I hadn't brought a camera, and this was pre-cell phone days, so no pictures.  Dammit.

No comments: