Monday, February 13, 2023

Got to the range, (first update) Second update, and another bit of 'what I did'

and was able to set up the chrony for those subsonics.  Update with details later.

Part of the update:
I had two sets of five loads, both using the 200-grain Berry's plated bullets.  Five used Federal cases, five Lake City that had been converted to .300 Blackout, both with the same load-
DISCLAIMER
I started with the load in the new Lyman manual, and worked down .1 grain increments.  Note that the manual says "DO NOT REDUCE LOADS", as, if you get it too low, you could wind up with a bullet stuck in the barrel, which can rate from 'a pain' to a big 'Oh SHIT!'  And yes, I was very damn careful trying these loads.  If you use this, the results are on you.

- which I'll tell you if you ask in the comments, at 50 yards.  Time came to try them, I discovered I hadn't brought the rest bags I use with AR type rifles, so didn't have the best of rests.  Both were about equally accurate, but the velocities were interesting: 
Federal cases        LC cases
    1000                    914
    1081                    928
      985                    943
      973                    933
For some reason the LC cases gave much more consistent velocities.  As to accuracy, 



the two at the bottom are with the Strike Eagle center dot centered, and the Federal cases.  So I used the first stadia line as the aiming point for the next three, which are the three up/left.  Then used the same aiming point with the LC cases.  Considering the rest, and that this was at the end when the cool and wind was getting to me I won't say "THIS one is the best!" until I can try both again.

Thus ends the first update.


2nd Update:
Also tried some .45-70 loads, and this one looks real promising

Promising because the first two were on top; the third I knew I'd pulled as soon as the trigger broke, that's off to the left.  Fourth was right in with the first two, and the fifth, I'm pretty sure was my fault as well.  So this one I'll try again.   Difference between previous results with this load?  This was with Winchester cases instead of Starline.  We'll see if this works with the next set.

Yes, there were some others; none worth getting excited about.

'What I did'
with that warning about reducing loads in my mind, when I started working with reducing it I made sure I had the 36" brass rod along.  I'd fire one, make damn sure that
the bullet hit the paper, and
the hole was round.  
And kept looking at both with each shot.  The rod was in case one didn't make it out of the barrel.

4 comments:

larryw208 said...

What’s the load? Been fighting with 300 blk subsonics for a couple years. Can’t find one that reliably cycles both suppressed and open. Have the adjustable gas block and that helps some, but not 100%. I’m using LC 5.56 brass and both Berry plated and Sierra hpbt. Thanks, and enjoy your blog!

Firehand said...

This is from the newest Lyman manual, it shows 11.5 of CFEBLK, with a warning at the bottom of the page to not reduce the load. I started with it, and it cycled fully. So I tried reducing 0.1 grain at a time, finally getting to use the Chrony and see what the result is. It cycled with 11.1, but I think barely.

larryw208 said...

That's a full grain less than I've been using (12.5gr), but only did HPBTs with the CFEBLK. Think I'll go trim and prep some brass this weekend while I wait for more Berry's... thanks!

Firehand said...

I'd imagine they worked their data up with a test barrel setup, which would be nice to have access to.