Tuesday, December 27, 2022

This morning reminds me that it's a good thing (additional stuff)

I was able to retire.  Because if I had to make an 8-hour five days a week job* I just might die.  Or wish I would.

Seriously.  The front that came through yesterday was bad.  Lately, when I first get up the knees are pretty good, start troubling after being up and around some; this morning they ached just getting up.  The idea of putting on the work attire and heading out... no, thank you.  Part-time is about all I can do.  Oh, I could do full-time if I had to, but it would suck.

Added:
I'm very aware that, not that far back in history, I'd have died at about 30 when my appendix suddenly decided it wanted out.  For that matter, an infection last year came closer than is comfortable to punching my ticket.  Raising hell about bad medical advice/methods is necessary, so is acknowledging really striking advances.  Until antibiotics people commonly died from that infection, and others.**  Nobody dies of tetanus now unless they, for some reason, cannot or will not get the vaccine(one that actually works).  Other things like that.  My bitching about all the pills I'm currently taking doesn't change the fact that I'd be far worse crippled without some of it.  Not to mention being able to see thanks to some of those methods and techniques.
Speaking of advances, I'd asked the eye surgeon what they used for scalpels; most of what he uses is diamond, which can be polished to incredible sharpness and smoothness.
Thus ends the addition.

 It's supposed to warm a bit the next few days, more around normal average, and maybe I can get some yard stuff done.  Which would be nice, both to be outside in the sun and clean the leaves and such up a bit.  Hopefully.

This concludes todays bitching session.


*That's not counting the days at the old profession when something happened and had to get in early or stay late.  Also not including the "I need to take a while now to do the PT stuff."
** A while after the infection episode a guy at work asked why I'd been gone, I told him about it.  When I named the bacteria, he actually paled a bit and said "That's what killed my uncle!"  Even with antibiotics, if it's not caught in time, or you happen to be a bit more  vulnerable to it...

4 comments:

robehr orinsky said...

I was thinking that a bomb went off in the neighborhood of my knees for several of these nights where it got well below zero with sustained winds from 40 to 50 mph all night long . I guess I can still give thanks for being able to walk though Walter Brennan crossed with Chester comes to mind . Maybe throw in a bit of Fred Sanford , heh .

James said...

I finally had to give my full time job up at 70, as I couldn't justify my wages for what I was able to do. Some times now I fantasize about getting a job again, but it would have to be part time and consist of mostly sitting in a chair.
I would be dead without certain medications so the pioneer life is not for me. Days with our little storm don't make me miss the 54 mile a day commute.

clayusmcret said...

Like you, many of us have survived what could/would have been life-ending events had it not been for intervention of qualified medical personnel. Sadly, given what we hear they're being taught today in many medical schools, that may not be the case for our children and grandchildren.

Rob said...

Without penicillin I'd have died when I was 5 (64 years ago), a 100 years ago that death would have been normal.