Tuesday, March 29, 2022

A bit of tech I hadn't used before

From two previous PCs that died, I have the hard drives.  Looked like it was motherboard failures, near as I could tell, so the drives should still be good, and I wanted to check them without having to open up the case and put them in the current computer.  So a bit of searching led to this docking station, which some questions got good reviews, so I got one.

Works.  The only problem is the 'owners manual' stops at "Here are the parts, here's how you plug them in, insert the drive, and turn it on."  Not one damn thing further.  The 'support' on their website leads to a PDF of the same manual, and "You can call this number for help."  Bleep.  And the videos I found on YouTube did not show the same stuff that my pc did(of course).

Did get it figured out, and am able to use that drive to find any files I'd thought lost(I really need to do backups more often).  Now if I can remember where I put the other damned drive...

6 comments:

Matthew W said...

Every time I replaced a desktop in the past 30 years, I saved the HD. I went through my tech junk box last winter and used the external device to remove all the data I wanted. I was surprised at some of what I found

Anonymous said...

Now that you have the docking station backups are that much easier.

michigan doug said...

can you tell us Luddites how to use it?

Thanks.

Firehand said...

On this pc,
Open the lid
Set the drive in and push it forward to seat the plugs
Connect the cables, plug in, turn it on.
The pc made the 'we have something connected' sound
Open Explorer
There were a couple of new things under 'This PC', finally tried 'HP (G:) and got a menu with, among other things, 'users'. This looked promising so opened it.
There found a user name I recognized, double-clicked on it, and shazam!, there were the files.
From there could open search, copy, whatever, just like usual.

michigan doug said...

Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Get a Newertech universal USB drive adapter. Or whatever brand you want, plugs into your USB and the harddrive and you can use the harddrive as a storage device and unload whatever it contains.