Monday, November 15, 2021

The weather was quite nice for mid-November, so I finally

got that fifty pounds of scrap lead melted and cast into 1-pound ingots.  Now, weather allows, I'll need to weigh a bunch of them into five-pound sets and then measure enough tin to alloy them to 20-1.  

Then cast bullets.  Preferably a bunch of them, because that alloy works well with several things.

Right now, it's "Watch something and then get some sleep."

That something may be 'Rio Bravo', which is still one of my favorite movies.  And I just got a copy of "My rifle, my pony, and me" to listen to as the mood hits.

4 comments:

Rob said...

"Rio Bravo" (the one with Ricky Nelson) is good movie!

p2 said...

Just getting into casting. What do you use for tin?

Tank Killer said...

Rio Bravo, definitely one of my all time favorites!

Firehand said...

I did some reading, because tin seemed a bit expensive, and started hitting bargain and resale stores and finding pewter; modern is about 96"tin and 4% antimony from what I read. So far it's worked well.

If you want to go with pure tin there are places to buy it, one good one being the Tin Man. Go on Fecesbook and look up Walter's Wads, in Moore, he doesn't have his own website. Has pure tin, makes vegetable fiber wads in just about all sizes, and his prices are good.