Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Well, that worked

One of the things I changed on the Sharps was mounting a Lyman 17A sight in front, which would allow me to use different inserts and would keep the sun off them(I'd had problems with reflection from the original front sight at times).

One of the side effects was that the original-style rear sight on the barrel now shot WAY low, the Lyman sight being much taller than the original.  There's no way to adjust elevation on it except to lift it up and use the ladder.  So, a bit of modification was in order.

This involved finding a suitable-thickness piece of steel, and cutting a piece that duplicated the buckhorn of the original, but much taller, soldering it on, then bluing it. 
Rear view

Front view
(I've mentioned before, Oleg I'm not)
That line shows the original height.  Test fired it today, and that definitely raised the POI.  It'll probably have to be filed down a bit to put it on with the loads I'll use, which is also why the notch is so shallow.

So that's one thing partly accomplished.

No comments: