Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Every time I hear someone call for 'social justice' I either

make sure my money's out of sight or that there's a weapon handy; apparently I'm going to have to start thinking the same way when some 'scientists' speak.
In other words: truth is irrelevant, lying is perfectly ok, and "compromising on accuracy is a necessary evil" --particularly when it is some important issue like climate change...or any other issue deemed important for social policy by the political left. It is, after all, for our own good! A "greater good" !

Stephen Hicks in his book quotes Frank Lentricchia, a noted Duke University literary critic. Postmodernism, says Lentricchia, "seeks not to find the foundation or conditions of truth but to exercise power for the purpose of social change."


Back when I was a kid, and the scientific method was explained to me, I thought it would be heartbreaking to put all kinds of time and effort into an idea and then have it proven incomplete or wrong and have to start over; and I thought it was wonderful that people could desire to find the facts enough to have ideas trashed, as long as it led to the correct information in the long run.

I've had a lot of disappointments since then, lots of people too tied up in their hypothesis or theory to give it up, who'd mess with the facts to make them fit the idea; reading people who are supposed to be scientists saying "Well, maybe an important issue is too important to worry too hard about facts"... Partly it scares me, and far more it pisses me off; how the HELL can you deal with a 'issue' if you don't know the facts? And if you're caught screwing with the information you give people because you're not informing, you're indoctrinating, why the hell should you be trusted on anything?

Aw, hell, hit the link to Kevin and the Doctor and read. This kind of bullshit is what will wreck the sciences in this country, and set us back a long damned way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, perfect example of "I'm right because I said it. And If I say it, then it must be true."