Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I occurred to me that a friend of mine is probably reading some of my recent stuff

and wondering if she should have a trank gun around next time we meet?

The lady in question I met down in Texas a bit over a year ago. It went to 'we'll have to see how things go' partly because the lady would like to marry, and partly because one day, not thinking anything of it, I sent her this address and said "Can't remember if told you before, but this is my soapbox."

As to the marriage part, that's largely out for one simple reason: I think I'd make a lousy husband at this point, and she needs- deserves, for that matter- better than that. That's not an excuse, that's cold fact. Unfortunately.

The other, she ran across a couple of things as she read through and said "I don't think I've known someone as opinionated as you before!"* It seems some of the things I have an attitude about were a bit shocking, if only for bluntness. With a bit of conflict, of course; she's a much nicer person in some ways than I am. And sense of humor conflicts; I told her about the Kalashnikitty shirts, and giving one to my goddaughter for a sleep shirt and she just about blew a gasket. Definite conflict, there.

Back to the original point, she may be reading some of my recent commentary on the proper association of many politicians to hemp products and thinking "And I was snuggled up to this nut?" And I do have to say I've been a bit, ah, emphatic lately; having a bunch of crooks, snobs and morons in DC ignoring what we have to say and assisting Obama in trashing the place brings that out in me. It makes me think of some music. Friend has an adapter to convert audio tapes to MP3 files and I was using it to save some stuff I've had for years. I ran across one song:
Scots wha hae w' Wallace bled,
Scots wham Bruce has often led,
Welcome to your gory bed,
Or to victory.

Now's the day, and now's the hour,
See the front of battle lour,
See approach proud Edward's power;
Chains and slavery.

Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha will fill a cowards grave?
Wha sae base as be a slave,
Let him turn and flee.

There's a tendency to throw notes about Specter and Obama and Co. in there, you know? Last verse:
Lay the proud usurper low
Tyrants fall, in every foe
Liberty's in every blow
Let us do or die.

Seems appropriate, don't it? And if she reads this, she'll be sure I'm on the watch list.


*Cue joke about "Attitude? I don't have an ATTITUDE!"

1 comment:

RobC said...

I share a lot of your views and I do not even live in the USA! You sound quite normal to me.