Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The dog's part of the team, Sergeant!

Over at Big Mouth, found this on a canine team over in the sandbox.
"I tried to run into the building, but another sergeant grabbed me and said ‘no’. I told him my dog was inside, and I had to go,” McCleskey said. The building, about 55 yards away, was a converted warehouse.

McCleskey’s first sergeant, U. S. Army 1st Sgt. Sean Bailey, stepped in, saying “You have to let him try.” The first sergeant grabbed a fire extinguisher, McCleskey handed his M-4 rifle to another military member and a life-saving mission began."

The U.S. military has a long history with dogs, for everything from guard duty to search to couriers.
"He reported the injury to the 101st Provost Marshall’s Office, and within an hour, Katja’s veterinarian was on the phone telling him to be ready to leave in 30 minutes. McCleskey said he was not injured.

“He (the vet) told me he was nine-lining us out of the area. Nine- lining means that a soldier is hurt, and we become the priority for the air. Military working dogs are viewed as soldiers, so if they get hurt, then we do everything in our power to get them out of action and to medical assistance fast.”

Critter earned it. And is still doing the job. Definately worth reading. As a side issue, from what I've read Mohammed hated dogs.

Which is one more reason to say he sucked rocks.

No comments: