Sunday, December 03, 2006

Remember Kim's post a couple of years ago about On*Star?

Where the FBI used the system to listed to conversations a suspect had in his car? Well, I found a link over at The High Road and guess how secure your cellphone is? The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.

There's too much here to excerpt, you ought to read the whole thing. Which means that if I get a cell, a: I'll turn off the locator function and b: take the battery out of the damn thing when I'm talking to somebody about anything I consider private. No, I'm not being paranoid(at least not much), I'm being pissed off. I'd only get the thing in case I actually need to make a call while I'm out, and I don't want to have to worry about some jerk hacking into it, whether fed or general jerk.

I can't find the article at Kim's site, maybe someone has it?

No comments: