treating nurses badly in general; being a doctor and pissing off- and on- people who both help keep patients alive and keep you from killing one of them through being a very educated dumbass, well, aren't you special?
Oldest friend I have, his mom was a nurse, a very good one, and I remember someone saying something along the lines of "No doctor gives her any crap." Knew a nurse who had long experience in dealing with pregnancy cases who had the time on the job and the record to tell a doctor to go to hell when needed, and make it stick. Pissing them off without DAMN good reason would've been stupid on multiple points, but from what I've heard it still happens, especially with newer docs.
Lady used to know worked at a hospital and said it was referred to as 'Toxic Doctor Syndrome', and apparently they'd cracked down on it a lot over time, which was good to know.
3 comments:
That happens in all professions but college educated idiots are the worst. I dealt with an engineer fresh out of college telling me how to put in steel bracing to mount a corn sheller for a seed corn company. Fortunately the owner was there and after the engineer left told me to do it the way I thought best. The engineer jumped me when he saw what I had done and I told him that was the way the owner wanted it. End of discussion. After a few years he finally realized he wasn't the great arbiter of how things got done and turned out to be competent at his job.
I had a retired ranger colonel tell me about getting his first infantry platoon at a lt. The major who was sending him out told him, "your platoon sergeant has six years of real experience. If he had to run your platoon, he would do just fine. When he tells you something, listen to him. When he has a suggestion or a warning, heed it. And when you've heard him, YOU make the decision and give the orders."
I have a friend who did forty years as a respiratory therapist. He often worked the ER. One night, late, a car wreck victim was brought in and the intern in charge started shouting orders and instructions. My friend calmly asked the recent grad if it might not be best to “get the damned guy breathing first?”
Post a Comment