Thursday, March 28, 2024

I don't think I've mentioned that I love Sta-Bil

If you're not familiar with it, it's a fuel stabilizer: add some(amount on the bottle) to a gas can or gas tank and it helps keep moisture away, also helping prevent gum or varnish from forming.  If you add it to a gas tank, run it a few minutes to get the stuff all the way through the system.

I think it also helps, for long-term, if you're using straight gas instead of ethanol blend.

What brought this to mind?  Dad's roto-tiller had been sitting in the shed for three years, and when I decided to make a small garden this year I got it out.  He'd made a point- especially since his mower and the tiller were old models- to use straight gas, putting the dose in the can and then filling it, then using that to fill the tanks.

Set the choke, put on full throttle, started on the third pull, and ran normally.  Which was wonderful.  After got it home I added some fresh gas, started it- on the first pull- and made the first run over the ground.

So if you're storing a motor for a while, and you don't already use something, I suggest this stuff.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what brand of tiller? I have had nothing but trouble with the Earthquake (china). I am thinking of buy a Merry Tiller - PA made.

Firehand said...

It's an old Craftsman, he picked it up about thirty years ago

Anonymous said...

Yes the old Craftsman machines were great

Steve said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQZK-hcl5M4
This chick explains what happens when you buy gas for your tools.

Driftwood said...

Make and model of the engine?

Dan said...

If the gas is stored in a truly airtight container StaBil can keep the fuel useable for a surprisingly long time.

Steve said...

I personally like seafoam. It stabilizes fuel just as good, and it is not as stinky the next season as the Sta-bil

Anonymous said...

Yep, Sta-Bil is worth its weight in gold!
My chainsaw ran like a top on ethanol tainted gas when treated after sitting for at least a year.

Sailorcurt said...

I haven't had a tiller for years, but back in the day, Troy Bilt was the brand to have.

Don't know if they're still made the way they used to be, and they were not cheap, but back in the day those things were indestructible.

Re Sta-bil: Excellent stuff. When you follow the mixing directions, a little bit goes a long way.

I have two 5 gallon gas cans that I keep filled for emergency use in the generator. My intention is to empty and refill them once a year, but I often don't get it done* and I've had the gas sit for as long as three years in the past. I've never had any issues with it.

*where we live, there is no place to get ethanol free gas. I'd have to buy those 1 gallon cans from Lowes and it would cost a fortune.

Fortunately, our remote mountain hideaway at an undisclosed location is in an area where about half the gas stations still sell ethanol free gas so I just have to remember to take the gas cans with me when I go there one trip a year. Of course, remembering to take them is the challenge.