Tuesday, October 10, 2023

There was a couple of hours at the range, and the load testing went well. Now I've got to write it down

before I confuse some things, and lose my notes.

Big thing wondered about was a primer question: Which will work best?  Black powder cartridge rifles can sometimes be pretty picky about what components work the best for accuracy.  Before the Wuhan/supply chain mess made things hard to get I'd tried a number of things and finally hit a quite good combination which involved Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match primers.

Which, along with all others, became impossible to get.  I'd bought enough to last a fair while, but that while is running out.  I'd tried Federal LR Mag, Federal LR Match, a couple of standard LR primers*, and nothing gave equal groups. Well, most say that you'll get best outcome with magnum primers on black powder(and some black substitutes), and I'd wound up with some CCI LR Magnums, so I loaded a few to try.  The first round misfired, went off on the second try but I pulled it, then the next four went into a decent group.
So I'll need to load more of these and make sure this wasn't a fluke.  If it holds up, that'll take a lot of pressure off.

*lots of recommendations of Federal primers for this purpose, so those are what I'd mostly tried.

No comments: