Monday, August 28, 2023

Another 'Faster, please' medical advance

This one for eyes.
Four patients with severe chemical burns to one eye have shown early positive results in a phase 1 clinical trial of a therapy based on their own stem cells.

Even without further treatment, two of the patients reported significant improvements in their vision after a year of follow-up, according to a team of US researchers. The other two patients were able to undergo corneal transplants, which had previously not been an option due to the severity of their injuries.


2 comments:

Dan said...

Even if this works the costs will be exorbitant, the vast majority of insurance companies won't pay for it and thus it will be relegated to the realm of the rich and powerful.

JC said...

Well shit. That time when I wasn't working? Well, I had Tuberculosis, When I was cleared from it 2 years later, I was declared legally blind, 'cause I couldn't go to an eye doctor, because of, you know, tuberculosis, but I had to wait 3 years for an appointment for the routine cataract surgery.l While waiting for that appointment, I took a bus to apply for food stamps, and the fucking bus ran over me. Funny thing. I didn't qualify for ONE SINGLE BIT OF BENEFIT. My Food Stamps were witheld because of my lawsuit. I got
Sweet Fanny Adams out of the suit, which was delayed for 5 years because of course it was.
So, JC, can you explain this hiatus in your work history?
Independent contractor.