Monday, January 09, 2023

I am officially sick of my knees (added to)

One of the fun things they've come up with is if you sit in a chair that somehow has the slightly wrong height or angle, suddenly one or the other will throb and bloody hurt.  So you move around some, it eases off.  Until the other one decides to do it.

And, of course, if that doesn't happen they will stiffen up, and hurt when you get up, until the loosen up.  Standing in one place for a few minutes will do the same.  

They'd better heal out of this crap, because I'm done with this.

Added: in response to comments:
Guys, couple of things I don't want you to miss in my bitching about my condition:
Some of this discomfort for me is being caused by the fronts coming through while I'm still healing. It's been a bit over two months on the right, and it's improved a LOT from right after. I'll need more therapy for a while, probably a month or so, but I expect it to do as well as the left, which is much better than it was before. I think some of the left knee trouble is also because it's been shouldering more load than usual; when I remember to make myself walk more slowly and keep it as normal as possible, it bothers less.

They say it won't be fully healed for a year, so I've got three months on the left. When I asked the surgeon about it at a followup visit, he said the first winter, when it's still healing, not unusual to have the reaction to it I have.

So  X, if you need it, my recommendation is do it when you'll have warmer weather the first few months. It's not just a 'few days of pain', it'll take longer than that to get over the trauma to the joint, muscle, and tendons, but it does get over it. And depending on age/condition, you might well heal up faster than I.

4 comments:

Kansas kid said...

I had my knee worked on then replaced. Orthopedic surgeon laid it on the line. It hurts to do the therapy and it hurts worse if you don't. Last visit I told him that his therapy was ok but I had to find my own stretches and exercises to match the things I wanted to still be able to do. His were too general in nature and I needed specifics. He smiled and said that is generally what the most successful recoveries end up doing.
Don't give up but do find out what works best to accomplish what you have to do. It is a personal journey.

Ed Campbell said...

I am a candidate for knee replacement and your reporting has really helped me. When I talk to the docs it is always a few days of pain then a month or two of discomfort then your good. Reading about your problems and speaking with some friends have made me decide to kick the knee replacement can down the road. Thanks and I hope you fully recover soon.

Firehand said...

Guys, couple of things I don't want you to miss:
Some of this discomfort for me is being caused by the fronts coming through while I'm still healing. It's been a bit over two months on the right, and it's improved a LOT from right after. I'll need more therapy for a while, probably a month or so, but I expect it to do as well as the left, which is much better than it was before. I think some of the left knee trouble is also because it's been shouldering more load than usual; when I remember to make myself walk more slowly and keep it as normal as possible, it bothers less.

They say it won't be fully healed for a year, so I've got three months on the left. When I asked the surgeon about it at a followup visit, he said the first winter, when it's still healing, not unusual to have the reaction to it I have.

So Ed, if you need it, my recommendation is do it when you'll have warmer weather the first few months. It's not just a 'few days of pain', it'll take longer than that to get over the trauma to the joint, muscle, and tendons, but it does get over it. And depending on age/condition, you might well heal up faster than I.

Kansas kid said...

My opinions and what I found for what its worth.
1) what ever arthritis is, it is NOT just in the worn out bones. It pervades the surrounding soft tissue to a damaged joint and is totally unaffected by the bone surgery. New joint - same old diseased soft tissue.
2) Australian doctors treatment. take one slightly heaping teaspoon of 20-mule team borax and dissolve in one quart of water. Take ONE TEASPOON of this liquid per day...no more. first few days no change. one to two weeks in pain INCREASES. then there is significant reduction in pain and discomfort. Sounds crazy but worked just like he said. I have been using it for several years now and swear by it.
You can look up boron and arthritis...there is a connection.