Thursday, January 06, 2022

Without going through details, something else to be pissed about

Had an insurance matter on the house.
Inspection done, adjuster came out.
Claim approved, "We use this app to have the funds transferred to your bank."
Start that.
Have to install app on phone, can't do this at home pc.
"We can't find your bank, fill this out."
'This' requires a debit card, which I don't have.  As in "you can't do this without one."
Contact guy handling claim.  He can't arrange a direct deposit, maybe my agent can or it's a check being mailed.
Contact agent, they're not allowed to do that, so without a debit card or credit card from my bank it's a check.

Maybe I'm way too dumb to see the benefits of this, but for a company the size of bloody Allstate to not be able to arrange a damned direct deposit seems flat idiotic.

8 comments:

Justin_O_Guy said...

Would you consider taking a check?
It probably won't fix anything, but a visit to the bank and a chat with someone above teller might find a solution. Hell, get the bank and the moron at the insurance company to talk?
That is such a weird, self induced, problem the insurance company is struggling with.
Yeah, we will pay you
But


Harbor Freight no longer mails out the sales fliers.
Get them in email, somehow get the coupon on your cellphone, or print it..

Phhht,, no phone, no printer, just a Kindle..
O well

Jim M said...

Watch, All-State will drop you because you actually made a claim.

Terrapod said...

My solution was to have ye olde bank create a new "checking account" then request a debit card for that specific account. you may have to put 100 bucks in for this to work. This allows me to transfer funds from the other accounts to the debit card related one as needed and that I do online from my computer. This also allows fleabay to direct deposit any proceeds from occasional sales and of course automatically deduct their fees and shipping costs. Provides a great paper trail.
I hate the mobile phone apps for these things and try to avoid using them as much as possible, too easy to fat finger something.

Rick T said...

Direct deposit was never designed to be secure, once you have the bank ID and account number someone can move money without many controls. There are lots of stories out there of an automatic bill payment stripping the source account because of a typo in the amount to be transferred..

Paper checks are a bit more secure, and I imagine they think their app is better too...

My credit union ATM card will function as a debit card even though I never use it that way.

Steve said...

Sigh....just another way to use digital blips and beeps to get you your money. "They" really are pushing for a paperless cashless society.

Firehand said...

That's not a bad idea.

I hate even long messages on the phone because of the fat-finger problem.

Country Boy said...

I had Allstate years ago. They treated me like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe after you noticed the stench. If you get a check, you're lucky. If you get a check, your premium the next year will increase to recover the cost. Soon after that, you'll be cancelled as "High Risk".

markshere2 said...

Never do I give a debit card #.
Never do I put financial anything on my phone.

I know they are gonna slow roll me on the money.
I factor that shit into my like.