Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Range day, and a test

Trying out a couple of loads, and some factory ammo, and making sure I didn't melt in the process.  I didn't melt, and despite the heat a good day, I just hit a point where it was "Pack it up, you're not going to do any good shooting from this point on.

On the factory stuff, a while back Widener's sent me some ammo, one box being of Sellier & Bellot .300 Blackout with 124-grain bullets(specs here).  I had a target set up at 200 yards and used it for this.  Rifle was a AR with a Vortex Strike Eagle scope
That's not bad at all(and yes, I'm blaming the ones left & right on myself).  I've got enough left after firing at a gong to shoot another group when I'm not going into heat 'give it up and go home'.

There's also a box of 147 grain and a box of 200 grain ammo.  I've used a bunch of S&B ammo before, and it's been good stuff. These will be tried later.

On .45-70, I think my biggest problem at distance is my eyes and iron sights.  This was the Lyman Postell 525-grain bullet* cast of 20-1 over 34.0 grains of Blackhorn 209, also at 200
I would like to find a way to mount a scope on that rifle without having to drill & tap, so I could better eliminate my human error as much as possible when testing loads.

If you'll now excuse me, I need to suck up a lot more liquid.

No comments: