Sunday, October 14, 2018

I hadn't thought of this in quite that way,

but this brings a quote from the Dutchman to mind:
Some think Johnson, who is among the highest-paid actors in the world, is not black enough to play a black man in the movies. One wrote, “John Henry was a very dark skin man & yes that matters.” Yet, John Henry is mythological. The skin shade of the “real” John Henry is uncertain; and like all folk tales, many aspects of the story “are subject to debate.”

Other critics say Dwayne Johnson hasn’t proclaimed his blackness enough to qualify as black. One tweet read, “The Rock is black when it's profitable and racially ambiguous when it isn't. We need a proud, strong, all-day black man to play John Henry.”
The quote:
I've said it before and I'll repeat: these collectivist pukes are more race-obsessed than the Nazi Gauleiter of 1930's Lower Swabia.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the Dutchman ....

wheels said...

The bit about John Henry being mythological reminded me of something.

Years ago, I received in the mail one of those collections of cards advertising various business services. One was for a company that sold cardboard stand-ups, mostly of celebrities, often actors portraying a famous role, such as Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock.

The card proudly proclaimed that the stand-ups were "life-sized" in capital letters with an exclamation point for emphasis. After going through the list, I wondered just how tall Betty Boop was in real life.

Still, I can see Johnson in that role. Michael Clark Duncan might fit my internal image of John Henry more closely, but, being dead, he'd have trouble playing the part.